However and wherever you ride, you know a motorcycle has unique risks. The Summit Group understands — and can show you customizable coverage options that help with risks.
A standard motorcycle insurance policy will cover some portion of the costs associated with damage to your bike. It will also provide compensation in the event that you cause harm another person or their property or have legal fees to pay an accident. Known as “bodily injury and property damage liability,” your motorcycle liability insurance covers the cost of liability claims and legal fees, up to the limits of your policy, if are at fault in an accident.
You can customize your policy to cover the following:
- Full replacement cost of your bike, in the event that it is totaled
- Comprehensive coverage, which will pay for loss or damage due to causes “other than collision.” This includes hail and other weather damage, damage from animals, and most importantly motorcycle theft
- Medical payments, in the event that you require hospitalization or medical care
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage, in the event that another driver is at fault in an accident and does not have adequate insurance to pay your costs
- Damage or loss to your gear and upgrades, such as transport trailers, sidecars, custom exhaust equipment, and safety apparel like chaps and helmets
When you choose what you want your motorcycle insurance to cover, find a balance between protecting yourself against the risks you face and what you can budget for coverage. The good news is that there are many ways to save on your motorcycle insurance if you are a safe rider with a good driving record.